Newsletter Submittal Guidelines
All articles, letters, stories of bicycling experiences, appropriate classified ads, artwork etc, are welcome. Please consider submitting materials that you would like to share with our members.
The editor reserves the right to edit or reject material. Each article is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily represent the opinion or endorsement of the SLOBC or the editor.
- All articles, letters, stories of bicycling experiences, appropriate classified ads, artwork etc. are welcome. The club policy states that the SLO Coaster "shall not contain commercial advertisements, flyers for any cause, ads for other clubs’ rides, or comments derogatory to local businesses. If space permits, advertisements for bicycles and accessories may be included in the newsletter."
- Nothing will be accepted verbally.
- The newsletter will be distributed and archived online—do not submitted material that you do not want to appear online.
- All materials are due no later than 8:00 a.m. on the 15th of each month. Submit materials as early as possible so any problems can be addressed.
- All materials must be emailed to email@example.com.
Text Submittal Requirements
- Text must be submitted within the body of an email or as an attachment.
- Text attachments must be in Word (.DOC or .DOCX) or Rich Text Format (.RTF).
- Text should be submitted with minimal formatting using upper and lower case.
- Use bold to indicate emphasis and italic for long quotes or publication names.
- Do not use underline or all caps for emphasis.
- Capitalize the first letter of each word in titles and subtitles.
- Use a single space between paragraphs.
- Text should be checked for spelling and grammar before submittal.
Image Submittal Requirements
- Images must be submitted as separate email attachments – do not embed images in text documents.
- Images must be submitted in JPG, TIFF or PSD (Photoshop) format.
- Do not edit images in JPG format at any time as it will cause loss of quality.
- Images must be a minimum of 700 pixels wide (1024 is better).
Document Submittal Requirements
- When submitting a document (e.g., poster, flyer, etc.) that includes both images and text for inclusion in the newsletter, provide the document in PDF format.
- The PNG format may be used for articles and images acquired from the web.
- The editor reserves the right to reject material.
- Images will be adjusted, sized and cropped to fit newsletter layout and support quality reproduction.
- Text will be placed and formatted to conform to the newsletter design.
- Feature articles (e.g., Presidents Message, Meeting Minutes, etc.) will receive as little editing as possible.
- General articles (e.g., Reports, News, Announcements, etc.) may be more extensively edited.
Editing will only be done to achieve the following:
- Correct spelling or grammar
- Improved clarity
- Communicate the same meaning with fewer words
- Conform to newsletter layout and style patterns
- Produce consistency & reinforce patterns
- Reduce the occurrence of widows (short lines at the end of paragraphs), Orphans (single lines at the top of columns) and rags (irregular or uneven margins)
- Reduce redundancy within an issue
- Fit content within layout and space limitations