Waivers & Forms
PDF Newsletter Archive: 2007 to Present
Archived newsletters are available as Adobe Acrobat Files (pdf). Download Acrobat Reader.
Members automatically receive the newsletter. Non-members/slobc friends can subscribe using the Newsletter Signup Form.
Back To Top
Newsletter Submittal Guidelines
Please consider submitting materials that you would like to share with our members. Review and follow the guidelines to assist the editor in preparing your article for publication.
- All articles, letters, stories of bicycling experiences, appropriate classified ads, artwork etc. are welcome. The club policy states that the SLO Coaster "shall not contain commercial advertisements, flyers for any cause, ads for other clubs’ rides, or comments derogatory to local businesses. If space permits, advertisements for bicycles and accessories may be included in the newsletter."
- The editor reserves the right to edit or reject material.
- Each article is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily represent the opinion or endorsement of the SLOBC or the editor.
- Nothing will be accepted verbally.
- The newsletter will be distributed and archived online—do not submitted material that you do not want to appear online.
- All materials are due no later than 8:00 a.m. on the 15th of each month. Submit materials as early as possible so any problems can be addressed.
- All materials must be emailed to email@example.com.
Text Submittal Requirements
- Text may be submitted within the body of an email or as an attachment.
- Text attachments must be in Word (.DOC or .DOCX) or Rich Text Format (.RTF).
- Text should be submitted with minimal formatting using upper and lower case.
- Place a single space between sentences within a paragraph.
- Use bold to indicate emphasis and italic for long quotes or publication names.
- Do not use underline or all caps for emphasis.
- Capitalize the first letter of each word in titles and subtitles.
- Use a single space between paragraphs.
- Text should be checked for spelling and grammar before submittal.
Image Submittal Requirements
- Images must be submitted as separate email attachments – do not embed images in text documents.
- Images must be submitted in JPG, TIFF or PSD (Photoshop) format.
- Do not edit images in JPG format at any time as it will cause loss of quality.
- Images must be a minimum of 700 pixels wide (1024 is better).
Document Submittal Requirements
- When submitting a document (e.g., poster, flyer, etc.) that includes both images and text for inclusion in the newsletter, provide the document in PDF format.
- The PNG format may be used for articles and images acquired from the web.
- The editor reserves the right to reject material.
- Images will be adjusted, sized and cropped to fit newsletter layout and support quality reproduction.
- Text will be placed and formatted to conform to the newsletter design.
- Feature articles (e.g., Presidents Message, Meeting Minutes, etc.) will receive as little editing as possible.
- General articles (e.g., Reports, News, Announcements, etc.) may be more extensively edited.
Editing will only be done to achieve the following:
- Correct spelling or grammar
- Improved clarity
- Communicate the same meaning with fewer words
- Conform to newsletter layout and style patterns
- Produce consistency & reinforce patterns
- Reduce the occurrence of widows (short lines at the end of paragraphs), Orphans (single lines at the top of columns) and rags (irregular or uneven margins)
- Reduce redundancy within an issue
- Fit content within layout and space limitations
Back To Top
Local Bicycle Shops
The following area bike shops offer discounts to SLOBC Club members. Discounts may not apply to all items. Let them know you are an SLOBC
member prior to having the sale written up.
Back To Top
The San Luis Obispo Bicycle Club has created a set of email groups that members can join.
As a member of
a group, you can contact or be contacted by other members of the group. New groups will be listed as they are formed.
The moderator does NOT filter messages before they are distributed. If we find that spam or email content outside our guidelines is creeping in, we will look for ways to deal with that.
SLOBC General Email Group
For communication between all SLOBC members within the following guidelines:
- It should be used for bicycle related news (road hazards, for example) or news about our Partners (Bike SLO County activities or Slabtown Roller events for example).
- It should be used when a published ride is canceled to notify everyone.
- It may be used to send 1-3 announcements to make people aware of a new ride.
- It may be used if a member is seeking others to join an impromptu ride.
- It should not be used to announce non-bicycle related activities, fund raisers, funny stories, personal experiences, etc.
- It should not be used in place of the following email groups that have been established for communication between published ride group members.
||Email a blank message to slobcGeneralfirstname.lastname@example.org
||Email your message to slobcGeneral@yahoogroups.com
||Email a blank message to slobcGeneralemail@example.com
Tortoises Email Group
Flaming Tortoises Email Group
SLO Pokes Email Group
Frequent Feeder Email Group
Yellowjackets Email Group
SLO Velo Email Group
Vacillators Email Group
Wandering With Will Email Group
Buy / Sell / Trade Equipment Email Group
The Public Directory provides email links to key club positions. The email communications will be forwarded to the member currently holding or covering the position.
Back To Top
Since 2000 the the club has maintained a site where its members could maintain statistics about their riding (and other activities). Over the years more than 100 members have made use of this capability. It is easy to use, maintains a record of your efforts and may give you some tools to help you challenge yourself to accomplish more.
Go to the Club Stats website (opens in a new window).
Site Use Pointers
- When you first go to the site, you will be asked to register. You give you name and log in information. Then you pick the type of stats you want to post. You can also assign goals if you want. Save this and you’re ready to go. You may have to log in the next time your start. But after that it will happened automatically (unless you clear your cookies).
- Enter your stats on the Add Activity tab. Usually all you need are values picked off your bike computer.
- You’ll see that there is a tab with your name on it which shows the activities you’ve posted. There are three view available there.
- Table: It shows summary totals for each month. But if you click on the month, you can expose all the activities you’ve posted. You can edit or delete an activity by clicking it’s date.
- Annual: This show annual totals for all your activities. It takes a while for this to be interesting, but open one of the other users and you can see their tab.
- Graph: Here you can look at your data in a lot of different ways. These won’t be very useful until you’ve got a fair history of data. I’ve got 15 years and I can have lots of fun with them. You can compare your achievements against your goal or what you did in another year.
- You review the other members at the member tab. If you click on a member there, you open up a tab that shows that members data.