PDF Newsletter Archive: 2007 to Present
Archived newsletters are available as Adobe Acrobat Files (pdf). Download Acrobat Reader.
Members automatically receive the newsletter. Non-members/slobc friends can subscribe using the Newsletter Signup Form.
All articles, letters, stories of bicycling experiences, appropriate classified ads, artwork etc, are welcome. Please consider submitting materials that you would like to share with our members.
- All articles, letters, stories of bicycling experiences, appropriate classified ads, artwork etc. are welcome. The club policy states that the SLO Coaster "shall not contain commercial advertisements, flyers for any cause, ads for other clubs’ rides, or comments derogatory to local businesses. If space permits, advertisements for bicycles and accessories may be included in the newsletter."
- The editor reserves the right to edit or reject material.
- Each article is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily represent the opinion or endorsement of the SLOBC or the editor.
- Nothing will be accepted verbally.
- The newsletter will be distributed and archived online—do not submitted material that you do not want to appear online.
- All materials are due no later than 8:00 a.m. on the 15th of each month. Submit materials as early as possible so any problems can be addressed.
- All materials must be emailed to email@example.com.
Text Submittal Requirements
- Text must be submitted within the body of an email or as an attachment.
- Text attachments must be in Word (.DOC or .DOCX) or Rich Text Format (.RTF).
- Text should be submitted with minimal formatting using upper and lower case.
- Use bold to indicate emphasis and italic for long quotes or publication names.
- Do not use underline or all caps for emphasis.
- Capitalize the first letter of each word in titles and subtitles.
- Use a single space between paragraphs.
- Text should be checked for spelling and grammar before submittal.
Image Submittal Requirements
- Images must be submitted as separate email attachments – do not embed images in text documents.
- Images must be submitted in JPG, TIFF or PSD (Photoshop) format.
- Do not edit images in JPG format at any time as it will cause loss of quality.
- Images must be a minimum of 700 pixels wide (1024 is better).
Document Submittal Requirements
- When submitting a document (e.g., poster, flyer, etc.) that includes both images and text for inclusion in the newsletter, provide the document in PDF format.
- The PNG format may be used for articles and images acquired from the web.
- The editor reserves the right to reject material.
- Images will be adjusted, sized and cropped to fit newsletter layout and support quality reproduction.
- Text will be placed and formatted to conform to the newsletter design.
- Feature articles (e.g., Presidents Message, Meeting Minutes, etc.) will receive as little editing as possible.
- General articles (e.g., Reports, News, Announcements, etc.) may be more extensively edited.
Editing will only be done to achieve the following:
- Correct spelling or grammar
- Improved clarity
- Communicate the same meaning with fewer words
- Conform to newsletter layout and style patterns
- Produce consistency & reinforce patterns
- Reduce the occurrence of widows (short lines at the end of paragraphs), Orphans (single lines at the top of columns) and rags (irregular or uneven margins)
- Reduce redundancy within an issue
- Fit content within layout and space limitations
Local Bicycle Shops
The following area bike shops offer discounts to SLOBC Club members. Discounts may not apply to all items. Let them know you are an SLOBC member prior to having the sale written up.
|Bike Shop||Phone||SLOBC Member Discount|
|San Luis Obispo|
|Art's Cyclery||805-540-7969||10% - accessories & parts|
|Cambria Bicycle Outfitter||805-543-1148||10% - free shipping on orders over $50 in SLO county|
|Flanders Bicycle||805-439-2900||10% - accessories & parts|
|Foothill Cyclery||805-541-4101||15% - accessories|
|SLO Bike & Run||805-548-2660|
|Wally's Bicycle Works||805-544-4116||10% - accessories & parts|
|The Bike Shop||805-772-2697||10% - accessories & parts;|
|Best Bike Zone||805-237-2453||10% - accessories & parts|
|Cambria Bicycle Outfitter||805-221-2602||10% - free shipping on orders over $50 in SLO county|
|Ira's Bike Shop||805-489-2621||10% - accessories, non-sale items|
|Trinity Bike Shop||805-473-8324||10% - accessories & parts|
|Hart Velo Enterprises||805-929-2258||10% - all non-sale items, including bicycles|
|Main Street Cycles||805-922-5577||10% - accessories & clothing|
|Central Coast Cyclery||805-934-2003|
|Pedal Power Bicycles||805-349-2294|
|Cycle Star Bikes||805-347-1950||10% - accessories & parts|
|San Luis Obispo|
|Art's Cyclery||805-543-4416||Specialized Rockhard mountain bikes|
|Cambria Bicycle Outfitter||805-543-1148||High end road and mountain bikes|
|Wally's Bicycle Works||805-544-4116||All Types|
|Paso Bike Tours & Rentals||805-440-5085||Hybrid and Road Bikes|
|Best Bike Zone||805-237-2453||Road and mountain bikes|
SLOBC Ride Rating System
All scheduled SLOBC rides are designated as to Average Speed and Terrain to give riders a better idea of how hard or easy the ride will be. Both Average Speed and Terrain designations will appear in the descriptions of each ride. In some instances rides divide into multiple groups with different ratings.
|Less than 10 mph. This pace is for families with children and for those recreational riders who like to "stop and smell the flowers." Regroups often. Waits for the slowest of riders.|
|9 to 12 mph. Leisurely, easy pace, allows riders to visit while riding. Some riding skills required. Waits for slower riders. Regroups occasionally, usually after a hard hill or just before a route change.|
|12 to 15 mph. Good riders. Social pace. Regroups every 30-45 minutes but still waits for slower riders.|
|14 to 17 mph on reasonably level terrain. Requires experienced riders. Regroups at roughly every hour or so. Requires occasional pace line riding.|
|Over 16 mph. Race training, infrequent stops. Mostly pace line. No obligation to wait for other riders|
|2||Easy Grades, Some Hills. Most of the Frequent Feeder and SLOPokes Rides.|
|3||Rolling Hills. North county hills like Vineyard Drive and Peachy Canyon.|
|4||Hard Hills. Highway 46 from coast to Paso Robles, Santa Rosa Creek.|
|5||Very Challenging Hills are the focus of these rides. Fortunately, not many in our area.|
The Volunteer Directory provides email links to key club positions. The email communications will be forwarded the member currently holding or covering the position.
The San Luis Obispo Bicycle Club has created a set of email groups that members can join. As a member of a group, you can contact or be contacted by other members of the group. New groups will be listed as they are formed.
The moderator does NOT filter messages before they are distributed. If we find that spam or email content outside our guidelines is creeping in, we will look for ways to deal with that.
SLOBC General Email Group
For communication between all SLOBC members within the following guidelines:
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcGeneralfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message to slobcGeneral@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcGeneralemail@example.com|
Tortoises Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between Tortoise ride participants.|
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcTortoisesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message to slobcTortoises@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcTortoisesemail@example.com|
Flaming Tortoises Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between Flaming Tortoise ride participants.|
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcTheFlamingTortoisesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message to slobcTheFlamingTortoises@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcTheFlamingTortoisesemail@example.com|
SLO Pokes Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between SLO Poke ride participants.|
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcSLOPokesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message to slobcSLOPokes@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcSLOPokesemail@example.com|
Frequent Feeder Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between Frequent Feeder ride participants.|
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcFrequentFeedersfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message to slobcFrequentFeeders@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcFrequentFeedersemail@example.com|
Yellowjackets Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between Yellowjacket ride participants.|
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcYellowjacketsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message to slobcYellowjackets@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcYellowjacketsemail@example.com|
SLO Velo Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between SLO Velo ride participants.|
|Join||Email a request to join the SLO Velo group to firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message toSLOVelo@googlegroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to SLOVeloemail@example.com|
Vacillators Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between Vacillators ride participants.|
|Join||Email a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Send||Email your message to email@example.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org|
Wandering With Will Email Group
|Purpose||For communication between Wandering With Will ride participants.|
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcWanderingWithWillemail@example.com|
|Send||Email your message to slobcWanderingWithWill@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcWanderingWithWillfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Buy / Sell / Trade Equipment Email Group
|Purpose||For members looking to buy, sell or trade (or maybe even give away) bicycles, bicycle parts and/or bicycle accessories. This is also the place to "Try Before You Buy" for people who are considering the purchase of a bike-related item and who would like to find a club member who has the item and is willing to let them test it out.|
|Join||Email a blank message to slobcBuySellTradeemail@example.com|
|Send||Email your message to slobcBuySellTrade@yahoogroups.com|
|Quit||Email a blank message to slobcBuySellTradefirstname.lastname@example.org|
Since 2000 the the club has maintained a site where its members could maintain statistics about their riding (and other activities). Over the years more than 100 members have made use of this capability. It is easy to use, maintains a record of your efforts and may give you some tools to help you challenge yourself to accomplish more.
Go to the Club Stats website (opens in a new window).
Site Use Pointers
- When you first go to the site, you will be asked to register. You give you name and log in information. Then you pick the type of stats you want to post. You can also assign goals if you want. Save this and you’re ready to go. You may have to log in the next time your start. But after that it will happened automatically (unless you clear your cookies).
- Enter your stats on the Add Activity tab. Usually all you need are values picked off your bike computer.
- You’ll see that there is a tab with your name on it which shows the activities you’ve posted. There are three view available there.
- Table: It shows summary totals for each month. But if you click on the month, you can expose all the activities you’ve posted. You can edit or delete an activity by clicking it’s date.
- Annual: This show annual totals for all your activities. It takes a while for this to be interesting, but open one of the other users and you can see their tab.
- Graph: Here you can look at your data in a lot of different ways. These won’t be very useful until you’ve got a fair history of data. I’ve got 15 years and I can have lots of fun with them. You can compare your achievements against your goal or what you did in another year.
- You review the other members at the member tab. If you click on a member there, you open up a tab that shows that members data.